Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Reasons To Keep a Handwritten Journal

Personally, I've been on and off as a journaller throughout basically my entire life. Last time we cleaned out my Mom's place we found some very basically worded fuzzy pink one dated from when I was 8 years old. I love keeping a record of what's going on in my life and how it makes me feel. So without further adieu here's a few reasons to hop on the bandwagon!



1) Write to work things out
I often find, whether I'm on the road or at home, life tends to throw crazy challenges our way. Looking back, my longest journal entries tend to be an explanation of whatever semi-dramatic event is going on in my life, but from the first sentence to what often becomes several pages, I see myself find solutions to the problem. Writing helps to slow you down a little, think consciously, and come to a defined conclusion.

2) Physical copies to reflect on
As much as I love the Facebook memories feature, and my old blog posts, or my old anonymous livejournal, I love paper. I love physical copies of books, and pretty covers that make me smile. As much as my journal is also one of those highly personal things that I don't let other people browse through, I also recognize that someday I will no longer be on this earth and nothing reflects my thoughts better than those memoirs, should someone want to hold on to them.

3) Boost Creativity
In my opinion, the only way to get better at anything is to experiment and practice until you find out what works best for you. I spend a lot of time changing up my writing style and playing around with new ideas on real paper before I throw them all over the internet, and I would like to think it helps!

4) Books don't need batteries
Long term travel doesn't happen without my Macbook present. But every now and again, I want to go camping for the weekend, or hang out at my Dad's permaculture homestead, or go on a short road trip, on hop on a train/plane/cruise without free wifi. If I'm not going to have wireless access, I don't see the point in hauling my laptop around in addition to a journal when I'm literally only going to use it to play the Sims or Roller Coaster Tycoon (I like a lot of "bad" vintage games).

I hope I've given you enough inspiration to start journalling, or increase the amount that you already do, maybe from once a month to once a week, a few times a week, of even daily.

Cheers,


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...