Sunday, March 6, 2016

Staying Creative while Traveling

One of the hardest things for me when I originally started toying with the idea of a nomad's lifestyle was the idea of where the heck I would put all my crafting supplies. Seriously, I basically had a slightly smaller version of Michael's packed into my bedroom and studio at my old place. I still dream about how glorious it was. I make everything out of everything, plastic bags get saved for plarn, newspapers are saved for paper mache, plastic bottles have infinite uses, dumpster diving or picking up stuff left on curbs has been a part of my life since childhood... My sewing and embroidery machine is second only to my laptop in what I would carry out in a fire.



Naturally, being on the road presents some challenges to my lifestyle of semi-hoarding or ultra upcycling as I prefer to term it. Namely, where the heck do I store all my tools.

Unfortunately the answer is I do not.

But thankfully, I have learned a few things that help indulge my inner urge to craft.

1) If I'm in one spot for a few months and I really need something that isn't crazy expensive (like jewelry findings), and I can't find it at a reasonable price locally, ebay is always the answer.

2) You can craft with almost anything if you try hard enough. Basket weaving with wood, spinning with locally available fiber. Not having access to your local craft shop can be immensely good for your creative juices as they need to flow extra hard.

3) Find something you love that is transportable. If you scrapbook, try smashbooking. If you sew, try hand embroidery (so fun). Write everything you can anywhere you can. Make your hobby work for you, instead of you working for your hobby.

4) Digital design work can be almost as satisfying. Obviously I have this blog, and while I do have mountains of work to get done as far as design and layout, it's something to play with. Recently, me and one of my Winnipeg friends also decided to launch an online t-shirt company (shameless self promotion) filled with wonderfully nerdy t-shirts available in limited time prints. No clue how successful it'll end up but it's another outlet (and another income source that enables me to be location independent).

Do you consider yourself crafty? What kind of art do you make while traveling? Let me know!

Cheers,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...