Monday, November 23, 2015

Justifications to Travelling NOW and Finishing School Later

I know when I finally got around to breaking the news to both of my parents that I was taking another
semester away from my University to take a working vacation, they took it... alright. Thankfully, they both were bitten by the travel bug pretty young as well, and tend to be wonderful supportive people. However, I would be crazy if I didn't walk in with a few reasons other than "wanting to see the world" and "insatiable wanderlust", otherwise I would get the dreaded lecture about "abandoning my education and destroying my future". 


Study Abroad
This may seem like the obvious one, but it has to be said. Many schools offer excellent opportunities to work on your classes while abroad. I know in my case, tutition is the same, and you just need to finance your cost of living/flights/etc., which is often cheaper outside of Canada. Check in with student services and see if this works for you!
     
Working Holiday Visas
Working holiday visas are a great way to get yourself into a country for a full year and still be entitled to work legally wherever you want in the country, however they usually have age restrictions at 30 or 35. As someone with the intent of life long travel on a limited budget, working while I'm gone is pretty essential. This might mean being a waitress or bartender and less of a focus on classes for a semester, but everyone needs a break sometimes right?

Online Classes
I'm lucky in the fact that my university offers a good selection of classes online, so for example, I'm still technically going to be a full time student while I'm in Maui this semester on a WorkAway project. If you can pull off being location independent while not actually putting off your education (or not putting it off as much by only taking one or two classes), why not? Online classes are often actually a bit cheaper as well!

Summer Classes
I know this is a bit of an odd sidebar, but many people don't consider that most schools offer intense summer classes where instead of spending a semester on a course, you crank it out in a month. Traveling during the Fall and Winter off season can be a lot more affordable than going in summer prime time, so picking up courses in the summer can be a great way to offset missing time during other semesters.

Travel Interning
Chances are, at some point in your college career, you're going to be doing an unpaid internship. It's great for resume building and has kind of become an expectation (I have my qualms with it, but that's me). If you use WorkAway, go WWOOFing, volunteer overseas, or any combination, PUT IT ON YOUR RESUME. Most long term hosts will be more than happy to write you a simple reference letter if you get along, and you'll be gaining valuable skills in your placement, even if they don't seem to directly correlate with your chosen field.










No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...